Thursday, October 8, 2009

10/08/'09 Five Minute Riffs

You never know who you'll meet or what you'll find out in an average day.

Today, while taking photos at one of my favorite ponds I saw two people on a lookout tower waving an antenna. Or it looked like that to my uneducated eyes. When they came down I went over and asked them what they were doing.

"We're tracking turtles with radio telemetry" said the woman.

The man, wearing hip length rubbers, said nothing.

"And the antenna, " I asked.

"We're using radio frequencies to track their movements."

The man kept busy while we talked--he put away the equipment.

"The turtles" she continued," are banded with different radio frequencies." We can pick up the movements of individual turtles.

When I drove off I hoped that there were rouge turtles out there who escaped surveillance.

No comments:

Post a Comment