Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Early Morning

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
—John Newton



Six women gathered,
and waited for streaks of light to climb over the hills.

We stopped --some standing, others seated.
A crisp breeze hurried by,
stirring mountain laurel and pawpaw shrubs.

When the first spell of light
touched a chestnut oak, the women
slipped out of their shoes,
and began to hum. Not really a hum,
but a sound that gathers, calls out names.

Amazing Grace, How Sweet the sound

Their voices leaned out over the field.
Everyone stilled as the notes
drifted and swelled,
and wandered,
over the mountains

rejoicing.

Linda Watskin ©2010

11 comments:

  1. Hey Linda -- "Their voices leaned out over the field" provided a great visual. That hymn is one of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem of rejoicing! I agree with Dan. It has a pastoral feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your poem, could picture it. Funny, I always associate "Amazing Grace" with Judy Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Linda, very nice direct images, nicely painting this poem here. As well I agree, that word "leaned" worked so very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your use of light (esp "1st spell of light) is very strong here. I enjoyed this, could hear the singers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, What a lovely poem that really expresses, Amazing Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Their voices leaned out over the field" was my favorite line too, turning the auditory into the visual. What a beautiful poem. Well done.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely.
    (in my wilder, bar-closing days, Amazing Grace was the song to end Saturday night on, give a taste of Sunday. Even the drunks in Nashville sing harmony)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your "streaks of light" phrase as crepuscular rays and the poem immediately took on a beautiful and spiritual quality.

    ReplyDelete