Tuesday, July 13, 2010

New England Foundations

On this rocky land where horizons
slip behind pines
Thaddeus placed layers of rocks
He measured out boundaries
until his name
carved into granite
rested in Jehovah's House

A sheet of rice paper
taped on his stone
rubbed with a crayon
draws forth Thaddeus,
his date of death,
years of life,
his children's names,
a winged cherub,
the call for the last trumpet sound

His wife Hannah's slate
is by his side
Three children died before they lived
Ephraim, Phebe, Josiah
Seven children grew beyond
these stone walls

Linda Watskin © 2010

10 comments:

  1. Linda- I LOVE where this prompt took you. Spending time in cemeteries is so peaceful. You bring honor to lives long passed. Thank you for sharing this--it's darn good.
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda I too love where this prompt took you!
    I love cemetaries!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. the imaginations of life lived beyond the stone is very powerful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gives me a peaceful feeling. Thanks Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your description and narrative draws us into the poem. I also like how this poem flows...first you focus on Thaddeus, then his tombstone, then his wife and children....and I love how in the last line you draw parallels between the tombstones and the stone walls, which closes the poem very effectively. Nicely done.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow....really like where you went with this....nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many stories can be found in cemeteries. I enjoyed this one!

    http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2010/07/guava.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda -- I'm a cemetery freak, so your poem sat quite well with me. What I really liked is the use of the names...few southerners were named "Thaddeus" (although many children were named Phoebe and Josiah -- interesting spelling on Phebe). You paid tribute to this family with your poem, to the parents and to the children. I was enamored of the ending, where you let some of the children go beyond those walls. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As they've all said, this is a lovely poem, Linda. Those early settlers had hard lives and a strong belief, all of which comes through in your writing.

    ReplyDelete