Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Detritus

My half- finished paintings,
partly organized vacation slides,
folders of fermenting ideas,
drawers crammed with pens,
bottles of Levinger's inks, manilla
folders labeled: articles of satiric interest,
story ideas claimed from yesterday's news,
research notes for an article on the first
teacher strike in New York City.

My books arranged by present interest:
Daily Life in Ancient Egypt leaning against
Color: A Natural History of the Palette

My layers of meaning?

If I'm not here will it all be declared
indulgence or the persistence of living?


Linda Watskin
Day 3
Poetic Asides Prompt

2 comments:

  1. Maybe indulgence is the persistence of living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art is not indulgence, it is living. I love all the details in that first stanza, and then how your thoughts change with each next stanza to that ending. And a perfect title.

    ReplyDelete