Monday, April 11, 2011

Maybe You Will Take a Chance

Maybe if I drove three towns away
to continue your ice skating lessons
when our local rink closed, maybe
if you understood time constraints

But maybe at twelve your view of time
knew no constraints
Maybe if I found the fit
of home less confining
or listened to the unsaid words
that settled in the empty places

Maybe the skein we wove together,
full of snarls and thumb sized knots
could be pulled and yanked,
smoothed, burnished
until the strands lay flat

Maybe the beginnings,
the once upon a time,
the roots, can be dug up
and new words planted

But maybe you don't want to take a chance

Linda Watskin 2011
Day 11 Poetic Asides prompt

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, I like the idea of 'new words planted'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending is full of sorrow, nicely done, Linda.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. A strong poem, Linda. I sense this poem was about parent-child conflict, perhaps still unresolved. I think the snarls and thumb-sized knots will be worked through. Adolescence is not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, this hits home, Linda. I have two fifteen year olds at home(step siblings), and worry about later ramifications of constraints all the time. Ouch! Ouch! I hope the knot isn't too convoluted (for you and me both!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your comparisons and this poem. It's a universal poem of desire for a re-do. I read so many meanings in this one little poem.

    http://judyidliketosay.blogspot.com/2011/04/maybe-tomorrow.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautifully written and filled with poignancy. I look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete