Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A is for Avocado




"Avocado is also known as the “alligator pear” because of the rough skin on some varieties. In the 17th and 18th centuries the fruit was also commonly known as “butter pear.” In tropical Central America, avocado trees have been growing wild for thousands of years... The Aztecs called the tree Ahuacatl. Marauding Spanish armies changed this to abocado or avocado, the now common English name.

According to the Little Green Avocado Book, there is strong evidence that avocado trees flourished 50 million years ago in what is now California, and avocados might have provided food for dinosaurs."

Dictionary of Natural Foods Dr. William Esser.


18 comments:

  1. I must remember to carry an avocado with me in case I run into a dinosaur here in California. (:0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Avocado's. Great choice for A day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well being a lover of Avocado's you certainly gave me some new information. I had never heard them called Alligator Pear... (I posted an alligator today ) and also "Butter"...because I do love to spread ripe avocado on a slice of bread. MMMM....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albany's alligators, alas, are extinct...
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd fight a dinosaur for an avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I love avocados, too! Really interesting information and a terrific post/photos for the A Day! Have a wonderful week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love avocado!

    Please come and see someArt Expression at my page, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I did not like it but now I do.!

    A is for Appreciation, your visit will be so much appreciated, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely astonishing! Thanks for this informative post.

    Halie
    ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  10. Avocados are among my daughter's favourite breakfast food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful picture!

    I have a love/hate relationship with avocados. When I fancy one, I thoroughly enjoy it, and relish the flavour and texture, but most of the time I simply don't want them! What's up with that, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect choice for today--my favorite way to eat healthy fat (well, I like unhealthy fats too. . .)

    Nonizamboni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures of avocados! Avocados are so good! I love the name "alligator pear." :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have a little guacamole, please!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love avocados - thanks for sharing so much about them. x

    ReplyDelete