Tuesday, August 9, 2011

D is for Daisy



"The name "daisy" is thought to come from the Old English "daes eage", meaning "day's eye", for the way in which it opens at dawn.

In Scotland, daisies have been called gools. At one time farmers there were taxed for having too many daisies growing in their fields.

The daisy family, known to scientists as Compositae, was classified in 1792 by Paul Dietrich Giseke, a German botanist and close friend of the Swedish "father of modern taxonomy" Carl Linnaeus.

From around 2,200 B.C., daisies were among the flowers that grew in ancient Egyptian temple gardens."


culled from a variety of web sites



"To the Daisy"

The poet's darling.
~William Wordsworth

17 comments:

  1. I love flowers and daisies are such happy-looking ones.

    Thanks for the history.

    I'm here:
    Dancing In My Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like a daisy to perk one up. Lovely photos and thanks for the research. Hope you have a divine day,

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisies always bring out the best in them and in others I think. Their sight always cheers everyone

    Pheno, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo, and what a great piece of information

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou for sharing the daisy information - a simple flower but so effective in a flower border - with its pure white petals - have a good week - Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daisies are so perfect - I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have them growing wild all over our property. I love to see them nodding in agreement in a light breeze!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love daisies! So bright and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely daisy photos. I suppose D is for Lab retriever would be a stretch. (Not quite abcw yet, similar to abd. Considering both, but can one jump in at any time with abcw?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! I love to learn about flowers. Your pictures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally didn't know any of this. :) such a great post and awesome photos!!!!!

    Thank you so much the comment you left on my blog yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think daisies are one of the friendliest, most cheerful flowers there is, and I love your photos of them! I didn't know the theory about its name origin, nor about their history in Scotland! Taxed for having too many daisies in the field? How unjust!

    Very fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. daisies for my day's eyes!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love daisies! They're so friendly and cheery!

    ReplyDelete