Monday, August 15, 2011

E is For Eye

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. -- Ghandi


• The average person blinks 10,000 times a day.
I became quite self-conscious when I tried to count the number of times I blinked in a minute.


• The eye of a human can distinguish 500 shades of gray.

• People generally read 25% slower from a computer screen than from paper.
Does that include a Kindle?

• You can't sneeze with your eyes open.

• The largest eyeball belongs to the giant squid.
"Giant squid, along with their cousin, the colossal squid, have the largest eyes in the animal kingdom, measuring some 10 inches (25 centimeters) in diameter.
National Geographic


•An ostrich has a bigger eye than brain.


The facts were culled from the internet.

19 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I don't know the answer to the Kindle question, but I would think it would follow suite. I wonder why that is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great eye shot! Nice facts.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sometimes my eyes are bigger than my brain too. Nice information about the eye, who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot and fascinating information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "An ostrich has a bigger eye than brain."
    Might be said of quite a number of the homo sapiens types too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello.
    Fascinating information. The eye shot is great.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Evening Wind

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent Linda - so very very true.
    Thanks so much
    Denise ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating facts. I didn't know there were that many shades of grey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. About the computer screen and paper - I didn't know that. Thanks for including that info.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting! Does each of the 500 shades of grey have a name, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ghandi's quote hangs on my desk. It's so true !
    I will try to sneeze with open eyes. Maybe it works !
    Gattina
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating facts. I didn't know that the ostrich's eye was bigger than his brain. I guess sometimes I have the same problem. (:0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting eye. I used an "Eye" in my post today too.

    Very interesting facts....didn't know hardly any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning photo - and those facts - love learning new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My student from the Pacific island of Tonga tells me they play a sport of flipping eye lids.

    ReplyDelete